For my Farmers Market workshop next Tuesday (more info here!), I've promised to demonstrate how to make homemade pickles... so, I made the first batch this morning so we're able to taste them during the workshop.

I've been recently intrigued by pickles because of my love of Blanc Burger's fabulous pickles...  they are sweet, but not to sweet, and tangy.  My goal with this recipe is to create a similar pickle.

Jenny's Homemade Pickles

10 small cucumbers, cut into quarters
3 cups of vinegar 
1 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of sea salt
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons of dry mustard
1/3 cup of peppercorns
4 cloves of garlic, sliced in half
1 bunch of dill, divided into 4

Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper flakes and mustard into a saucepan and bring to a slight boil to dissolve the sugar and salt.  Remove from heat.  

In 4 jars, place 2 garlic halves, a couple sprigs of dill, 1 tablespoon of peppercorns and one quarter of the cucumbers.  Pour vinegar mixture into each jar to the brim.  Fasten the lids on the jar and refrigerate for 2 days before eating.  The pickles will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top