Every year my brother-in-law, Kevin, makes his Famous Spiked Apple Cider.  He brings it to our football tailgates to keep us warm - from the inside out.  Last year for Christmas, I made Kevin these custom labels and jars for his popular libation.  I'm thrilled that he agreed to share his secret recipe (along with his tips) with us.  Thanks, Kevin!  


Kevin's Spiked Cider

1 gallon apple cider
1 quart apple juice
8 cinnamon sticks
2 1/2 cups of sugar
1/2 liter of EverClear
 
In large pot combine cider, apple juice and cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil.  Boil for 15 minutes.

Add 2 1/2 cups of sugar and bring to a boil again.  Boil for an additional 15 minutes.  (I missed this second boil part this year hope it tastes ok.)

Cool completely.  (I fill the kitchen sink with a lot of ice and some water and place pot directly from stove into the sink; you can use coolers or tubs of ice as well) – usually takes an hour to cool.  Add 1/2 liter of EverClear and stir thoroughly and I mean thoroughly.
 
Use a ladle to pour in jars.  If there are too many cinnamon particles you can strain through a cheesecloth.  Funnels are handy during this process but Jill won’t buy me one  :)
   If you don’t have jars, you can use empty liquor bottles (Boones Farm), glass jugs, or beer growlers.  Place a cinnamon stick in each jar/bottle.
 
I prefer sipping it cold but you can heat it up on stove or in microwave and serve hot.

Kevin 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top