I drove out to Lincoln, Massachusetts on Saturday to go to a wonderful little art gallery there, about 15 miles northwest of Boston/Cambridge. Lincoln is an historic town near Lexington and Concord and played an important role in the American Revolution. As I neared the gallery, this gorgeous Colonial house appeared around a bend, almost in slow motion, with a sign in front "For Sale."
As you can imagine, I couldn't wait to get home and check out the details of my new country home. It was built in 1785--can you imagine?--and sadly it is under agreement. At least it saves me $2,295,000.

But I thought it would be fun to look at a little local real estate that's still available. To give appropriate credit to the sellers, I'll provide links for each of them in case anyone is interested. See if you can guess the prices before you look.
This gorgeous Mansard style Victorian found here couldn't be any more perfect. It's on a 1/2 acre too which is extremely rare.
Here's another extremely handsome Mansard found here that just about makes me drool. This image is going in my inspiration file because I love the color palette. I'm really starting to like houses with trim that's darker than the body color. It automatically feels historical.
Here's a newly renovated salt box house found here. This house lising also shows an old photo of the house which is cool.
The listing states the house was built in 1940 which I thought was wrong because the photo itself seems older but I checked public records and 1940 is correct. It reminds me a lot of Paul Revere's house in Boston (shown below) which was built in 1680.
And finally, if you'd like something you can add your own personal touches to, here's a Victorian that just went up for sale. This is on the street where I last lived and I walked past it many times envisioning what I would do to it. It's actually got a nice covered front porch that could be really sweet. They say it has a lot of the original architectural details so I'll have to get over and check it out when there's an open house. This one found here will go pretty quickly.
I want to get out and get more inspiration for color shemes--would it be wrong to take my Benjamin Moore fan deck so I can match the colors?--so sometime soon, I'll get over to "Tory Row" outside Harvard Square so you can those houses with me. Many of these Colonial era homes were owned by Loyalists--people loyal to the crown of England...and they're amazing! This home below...
...known as the (Henry Wadsworth) Longfellow House, was originally built in 1759 and after the Loyalist owner was chased out of town was used by George Washington for his home and headquarters during the American Revolution. How cool is that?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top