Untitled SWS162

One of my favorite contemporary artists is sculptor Paul Bowen.  A new show of his work is opening this week at the Clark Gallery in Lincoln, Mass.  If you're in the area between now and January 30, you should make it a point to stop by to see his work.


Untitled


I first saw Paul's work several years ago at the DeCordova Museum and immediately fell in love with it.  I repeated his name over and over so I could research his work but I'd forgotten his name by the time I got home.  Don't you hate that?  

Fast forward a few a years when I visited Provincetown to take a white line woodblock printing course and found his work at Artstrand, an artist-run gallery in town.  



Pile

Most, if not all of this wood, was found washed up on the shores of Cape Cod.  I love that these materials that have already had a life (fish crates, boats, wharves) are tossed and turned by salt water, rocks and sand and then spit back on land and given a new life through an artist's vision and hand.



Untitled SWS176
The butterfly shaped pieces hold two pieces of wood together.  Paul often uses this butterfly joint in his work.



Windrush



Untitled



Untitled SWS169





Paul also works in other media.  These pieces are made of old marine flags.  The dragger shapes are an icon of Paul's print work.


This marine flag piece reminds me of old Kuba cloth.




Paul and his wife, a writer whose name is escaping me, moved a few years ago from Cape Cod to Vermont.  Since then, Paul's work is taking on new forms and objects collected from his new rural environment.




This is one of the pieces that will be in the new show.  It's hard to imagine from the photo but it's about 4 feet high by 8 feet wide.  I can't wait to see it in person.



If you visit the gallery, there are also a lot of other things to do in the area.  You could make an entire day out of it.  Here are a few of my suggestions.




The Walter Gropius house is a spectacular example of mid-20th-Century modern architecture.








The galleries are closed from January 10 to 28 but it has...




...35 acres of beautiful rolling woodland with 75 works of art, open from dawn to dusk, that would be a beautiful walk on a sunny winter's day.   




And if you haven't had enough of the outdoors, Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond is just a few miles away.  Everyone should walk around it once in their lives. 



I hope you enjoyed seeing Paul's work.  

145 Lincoln Road
Lincoln, MA  01773
781-259-8303







0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top