Beef Stroganoff with Steak in a Mushroom, Shallot Cream Sauce over Egg Noodles

I love stroganoff.  I can remember the first time it was served to me.  My dad had made it while my Mom was at her bridge group - I think I was about 5.  My dad had a history of serving us Liver & Onions, Ham & Beans, etc.  All things I hated.  I was terrified.

It didn't look visually appealing to a 5-year-old (a sight of mystery meat cream sauce), but I loved it immediately.  What is even stranger than the thought of a 5-year-old loving stroganoff?  It happens to be one of Mike's favorites, too.  Fate, I think.  

1 lb  flank steak
1 tablespoons of olive oil
salt & pepper
1 large shallot, sliced
1 cup of Mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of Beef Stock
1/2 cup of red wine
1/2 cup of Heavy Cream
1/2 cup of  Sour Cream
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
1 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
1 lb of Egg Noodles, cooked according to directions


Begin by boiling a pot of water for the noodles.  

Heat a large skillet for 2-3 minutes on high.  Coat the flank steak in olive oil and salt & pepper.  Put some oil in the pan, then cook the steak for 2-3 minutes on each side until the steak is rare to medium rare.  Longer for thick steaks, shorter for thinner.  Remove from the pan and set it aside, covered.

In the meantime, cook the noodles according to package instructions. 

In the same pan, add the mushrooms and the shallot to saute (add some more olive oil, if necessary).  Cook for 2-3 minutes.  De-glaze the pan by adding the beef stock and red wine, stirring and scraping the bottom to release all of the bits into the sauce.  Add the heavy cream and cook on medium for 3-5 minutes until it has thickened.  Turn off the heat and add sour cream, dijon and worcestershire.

Slice the steak into strips and add it into the sauce.  Serve over cooked egg noodles.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top