The construction portion of the dining room/study is done.  If it seemed like it went quickly, it's because the units were built in Sam's shop where they were sprayed with primer and then brought to the house,  Installation took two days.  


Sam made the frames slightly larger on the outside edges so they could be scribed to the walls.  This side has yet to be done.


The window casings were replaced with some of the trim that was left over from the living room windows.


And a crown molding was attached between the top of the bookcases and the ceiling.


Doing a project in an old house always includes the unexpected and it was the closet door that provided the headache on this one.  I never noticed it before but the door was attached to the casing because the door jamb wasn't deep enough to accommodate a normal door.   The door should be on the same plane as the wall, not the casing.



So the casings were ripped off, the entire jamb was removed (along with some plaster) and Sam made a new one in the shop to fit the door.  This required a little bit of plastering before the new casings and salvaged door were installed.

This door problem added $300 to the project but now it's done correctly.



I've been busy sanding the new plaster, caulking, spackling and priming all the new woodwork the past few days and testing out a few colors for the back of the bookshelves.


The green is Farrow & Ball's Arsenic.  It's a great color with a distinctively vintage feel but I don't think I want it in this room.  I'll consider it for one of the bathrooms...I think.   The other color is BM Whale Gray.   Don't like it either.  Too blue not warm enough.


So I've put the furniture back in place to contemplate the mood or feel I want the room to project.


The new-old door and casings are all primed and ready to be painted.  I'm also waiting for the new doorknob which will be bronze with a white porcelain knob.


Here's the trimmed edge of the seagrass rug.



And finally, here's the chaise pour le petit derriere.  I'm going to have a cushion made at some point but I kind of like having some plants here.



I'm really pleased with how this is looking so far.  I have a lot of work to do so I better get back to it.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top