It is true what they say.  It's the simple things in life...

Sometimes the best things in life are so simple... you can't help but want to mess with them.  You try and try to improve them.  But, inevitably, you end up just where you started.

So is the case with Cucumbers & Onions.  You may recall my jazzed up version from the 4th of July complete with red onions, feta cheese and tomatoes.  Well, last week, I went back home to Kansas City where the summer produce season is in full swing.  My mom and I fixed dinner from the garden, and I was in charge of the cucumbers and onions.  I dared not try out my new fancy version - a stickler for tradition, my Dad would not have been happy.  So, I stuck with the traditional, simple, tried and true, Classic Cucumbers and Onions.

View of the corn field over the cucumbers.  My Mom's garden is just to the right of this.

When we sat down to dinner, I was the one who couldn't get enough.  At the table I confessed my mistake of trying to "fix" the classic recipe into something pretty for a party.  Big mistake!  I can't begin to describe the perfect crunch, sweetness, bitterness, coolness and bite this salad has.

Cucumbers & Onions

4 cucumbers
1 onion
3 tablespoons of table salt
1/2 cup of white vinegar
1/2 cup of sugar

Peel and slice the cucumbers and onions.  Coat with salt, cover and refrigerate for an hour or 2.  Rinse the salt off of the cucumbers and onions.  Place in a large bowl.  Combine vinegar and sugar.  Pour over cucumbers and let them soak in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.


Did you notice the tea towel backdrop?  It looks like this one was cross-stitched by my sister, Jill, in 1987.  I think it had a duck and a squirrel on it.   I told you we lived very exciting lives as children...  I love that I found this in my mom's kitchen drawer to be used on a daily basis.


Farm to Table Dinner Party Series : 
Farmer's Market Themed Menu

Classic Cucumbers & Onions is part of my Farm to Table Dinner Party Menu & Farmer's Market Table Setting.  To see the entire menu, click here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top