If you want impress some people, make this cake.  This cake is "ooh-ed and aah-ed" by everyone that sees it.

Smoke and Mirrors, folks.  Here's the thing... it is a boxed cake mix with whipped cream and strawberries.  Does it get any easier?  As I learned as a caterer, presentation goes a long way.






For your 4th of July Party, put this at the center of some store-bought pies, piles of brownies and cupcakes and you'll have a dessert buffet that is photo worthy.

I've created a Strawberry Cream Cake label for you to print to make your creation look extra special.  If you plan to make other desserts, just print the blank labels and write in (or type in) the name of your dessert.

To print the "Strawberry Cream...
Cake" sign or blank label, click on the image to enlarge.  Right click on the image and "Save As". 

Strawberry Cream Cake

1 White Cake (from a box)
This is a small 6-inch cake - I made the rest of the batter into cupcakes.  
4 cups of Whipped Cream (recipe below)
1 pint of Real Strawberries


Me, at the age of two (I think. Right, Mom?) with my eyes and fingers set
on my Strawberry Shortcake (the cartoon character) birthday cake.
Real Strawberries.

I owe an apology to all of my clients, friends and family : For the last 20+ years I have been serving you large, 'beautiful' store-bought, commercially grown strawberries.  I'm sorry.  I should have known better!

When I was young, I adored strawberries (see photo at right...).  We had our very own strawberry patch in the backyard (I think it was even planted in a tracker tire - how 80's is that!).  Little did I know that in the coming years, I would forget how amazing these ripe little gems were and I would be falsely swooned by the giant season-less strawberries found at the grocery store.  I've discovered that real strawberries - tiny little strawberries that actually ripen on the vine (vs. in a truck/box) are still alive and well in Concord, Ma.  Every produce farm has "Pick Your Own" signs and plenty of berries for the taking.

Do yourself a favor - find some real strawberries.  They are like nothing you've ever tasted.

Since you were five-years-old, at least.


Whipped Cream*

2 cups of heavy whipping cream
1/4 - 1/2 cup of sugar

In a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the cream until it is light and airy.  Add sugar.  Mix well. 

*If you are really short on time (or you are my sister and actually prefer it...), use cool whip.  It will stand up to the heat better than real whipped cream.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top