Here's the deal : I don't really like butternut, acorn or hubbard squash.  I feel like it is such a Fall staple for so many people... but for me, I just can't get excited about cooking it.  I love having them sprawled around to "Fallize" my house, but I am not itching to cook anything with them.  Maybe I just haven't found the right recipe?  Or maybe I just don't like it.  Who knows!  

Going to the Farmers Market can be really fun this time of year, but I always feel a lot of pressure...  Sometimes when I'm faced with all of the beautiful squash I get overwhelmed - and guilty because all I really want for dinner is pasta, a burger or a baked potato... or something that doesn't contain squash.

For my Fall Entertaining Guide, I was bound and determined to make a seasonal, elegant, healthy and tasty dinner for the Fall Dinner Party Menu I've been planning.  I wanted the menu to to taste and feel like Fall, but be something that was cravable - something you would actually want to eat for dinner again.

I came up with a chicken breast stuffed with prosciutto (that's Fall-ish, right?), goat cheese (cream cheese for us pregnant folk) and spinach.  I roasted some root vegetables that were great along side the chicken - and were seasonal, too!  This would be great served with the Apple Dumplings for dessert... if they don't say "Fall" I don't know what does.

Prosciutto, Spinach & Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken 
with Roasted Fall Vegetables

4 chicken breasts

8 oz. goat cheese (or cream cheese)
1 cup of spinach
4 thin slices of prosciutto
olive oil
salt & pepper
..........
1 pound of butternut squash, peeled & cut into 1-cubes
4 carrots, sliced
2 cups of brussel sprouts, halved
1 large red onion, 1-inch slices
olive oil 
salt & pepper


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

To prepare the chicken, make a slit in the side of the breast creating a large pocket for stuffing.  Stuff spinach, goat cheese and prosciutto into the pocket of each breast.  Sprinkle with olive oil, salt & pepper generously.


Spread all of the cut vegetables on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and lots of salt & pepper.  

Place the chicken breasts and vegetables in the oven at the same time and roast for 20 minutes (it may take longer depending on the thickness and size of your chicken breasts).  



Here is the chicken breast stuffed - there is no right or wrong way to do it!


Isn't it pretty?  This large chicken breasts and lots of vegetables are enough for Mike and me to split for dinner.  I love that I can roast them all together on one pan for the same amount of time... makes dinner and clean-up very simple.


Don't you think it would go great with this Caramel Apple Dumpling & Ice Cream?!  Yes, yes I do.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top