Shrimp Cocktail was THE most popular item at my catering events - especially large, crowded cocktail events.  Why?  Because everyone is hungry and they know that they can eat a shrimp in one easy bite while they are holding their cocktail.  Strong and spicy classic cocktail sauce is just that, classic.  I really like classic cocktail sauce, but unfortunately it doesn't compliment many things.  I'm big on everything on the menu 'going' together and I don't like the idea of ketchupy cocktail sauce mixing with other things.

My solution was to come up with a new version of Shrimp Cocktail that my clients would love.  For the sauce, I love the combination of lemon, garlic and capers, so I came up with a simple lemon, caper cream sauce that was a big hit.  I found that tossing the raw, peeled shrimp in olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasting them (instead of boiling) made it very flavorful.  It is definitely an easy recipe to make for a crowd.  All you do is put them on a baking sheet and toss them in the oven for 5-7 minutes!  I recommend preparing 3-5 pieces per person... or more.  Trust me, they'll be popular.

For more holiday appetizer & hors d'oeuvres ideas for your cocktail parties, visit my Holiday Hors D'Oeuvres Ideas!

Roasted Salt & Pepper Shrimp
with Lemon Caper Cream Sauce

2 pounds of shrimp, peeled with tails on
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 tablespoon of Sea Salt
1/2 tablespoon of Black Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  If the shrimp is frozen, run cool water over it until they have thawed.  Place them on a baking sheet.  Drizzle olive oil over the shrimp, then toss with salt & pepper.  Roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes until they are bright pink and no longer translucent.  

Sauce:
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of capers
1 cup of sour cream 
Salt & Pepper

To make the sauce, in a small bowl, combine oil and garlic.  Microwave for 10-15 seconds to slightly cook the garlic.  Add lemon juice, capers and sour cream, using a fork or a small whisk to combine.  Salt & Pepper to taste.


For more holiday appetizer & hors d'oeuvres ideas for your cocktail parties, visit my Holiday Hors D'Oeuvres Ideas

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top