For as long as I can remember, I've wanted a different kind of Christmas tree.  A natural, unshaped, old-fashioned Christmas tree.


Maybe a little bit "It's a Wonderful Life"...


...or a little bit Victorian...



...or just one that isn't trimmed into a perfect cone.


Some of friends say, Oh, you mean a Charlie Brown Christmas tree!

I say, Good Grief, no.

Others say I'm just a sucker for the underdog.  

What's wrong with rooting for the underdog?



Each year I set out to find my different tree.  I've been to scores of Christmas tree places and as of yet, I've failed.   I figure somewhere in New England they must grow trees like this so I searched on the internet.


I finally found the kind of tree I've been looking for on a blog called Frugal Luxuries by the Seasons on a post from a few years ago.  These are from a place called Brita's Old Town Gardens in Seal Beach, California.  The blogger's name is Tracey and she was kind enough to e-mail me.  She believes it's a Noble Fir but they've always called it "The Night Before Christmas Tree."  I e-mailed Brita's Garden and they believe based on my description it's a Silver Tip.

At least I know they exist and I have an idea what to ask for.


So I headed over to Mahoney's garden center in Brighton.  They have several locations in Eastern Massachusetts but this one is just a few miles from my house.



For an urban garden center, they have a good selection of things and have a helpful, knowledgeable staff.


I immediately see something I like.  It's a living tree and too big but let's take a closer look.


Turns out it's a rare specimen tree.


Here's a smaller one that's just about the perfect size.  I'd be thrilled with something like this but at $399, it's out of the question.



Their opinion was these are natural growth trees that haven't been trimmed all their lives to go to market.  They even thought the one on the left wasn't real.  They even have Noble Firs but they're trimmed and look nothing like the one from Brita's.  They didn't have what I was looking for but they couldn't have been more helpful.  I think if I had pressed them, I think they would have made one for me.


I came home with two trees and a pair of these.

Stay tuned.

(If anyone know where they grow and/or sell trees like these in New England, leave me a comment or drop me an e-mail.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top