Helen Frankenthaler in Life Magazine, 1956

When I went to MOMA a few years ago, there were a few artists' work that stopped me in my tracks.  Robert Rauschenberg, Cy Twombly, Willem De Kooning and Helen Frankenthaler.

In case you've never heard of her, or seen any of her work, I wanted you to see a little bit.


Mountains and Sea, 1952



Frankenthaler worked much like Jackson Pollack in the way she poured paint onto the surface of the canvas.  She was, however, unique in her use of thinned paint that soaked in and became part of the canvas rather than sit on top of it.



Jacob's Ladder, 1957




Mauve District, 1966


Robert Motherwell and Helen Frankenthaler in Provincetown.



Savage Breeze, woodcut, 1974





Green Thought in a Green Shade, 1981


Snow Pines, 2004
34-color Ukiyo-e woodcut, printed with 16 woodblocks

Amazing!



Helen Frankenthaler passed away today at the age of 83.  

She was a true American gem.


- - - - - - 

12/28/2011

I found more images of her and her work in real home settings so I thought I would add them.



This triptych is called Madame Butterfly from 2000.


Elle Decor











Helen in her NYC apartment, 1960s




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top