The backplates on my bathroom door weren't as exciting as the knobs.  Even though they're not fancy and they're a little corroded, I kind of like their distressed look.  I still haven't been able to take the door outside to strip it but that should happen within the next few weeks.


I have at least one coat of paint on every surface of the bedroom.  The dark taupe wall just wasn't working for me.  It just sucked the life out of the room.


So that wall is now a mid-value gray called Herbal Escape.  It's one of those complex colors that looks a little different at different times of the day.  The floor is a darker slightly browner gray.  I just need to get a second coat on everything and clean up my edges.  Getting sharp edges in an old house is such a pain.  Can I get a witness?


And here's a sneak peak of a piece of artwork I just had framed to go above the bed.  I might lose a  bunch of people with this one but I love it.  I think it'll go above the headboard.

Hopefully by next weekend I can start putting everything back together.



I'm also working on a guest post for another blog -- more details on that soon -- and I need a few photos so why don't you tag along on a walk over to Harvard Square with me.  

This Greek Revival adjacent to Harvard University was new to me.  An enormous wisteria lines the entablature of the porch.  I'll have to come back in a few weeks to see this in its full glory.  The gothic doors on this double house are quite unusual.



I always love to poke around old New England cemeteries.  You never know what famous person you'll run in to.  This cemetery dating back to 1635 is right in Harvard Square.



Memento Mori = Remember your mortality.



The detailed carvings are always amazing...



Here lyes ye body of Dorothy Burre, wife to Samuel Burre, aged 30 years,
died ye 20 of February 1702.

Again Memento Mori and Fugit Hora meaning "the hour flies."


Comparing this headstone to the previous one makes me wonder if the image at the top of two carved columns flanking the stone...


...is a likeness of the deceased.  This was a two-year-old child.



On the corner of the cemetery is a 1734 mile marker stating Boston is 8 miles away.  At the time, the trip to Boston would take the better part of a day by horse.  A bridge built from East Cambridge to Boston in 1793 reduced the trip to just over 3 miles, or just four subway stops from Harvard Square.



The ceiling of the portico of Memorial Church at Harvard.


Detail of ceiling.



The Holden Chapel at Harvard, built 1744, has the most amazing carving on the pediment.



Massachusetts Hall on the right is the oldest existing building
at Harvard having been built in 1720.


I think I have all the photos I need but can't wait to get back and see these wisteria.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top