In the summer heat, I'm always looking for creative ways to make dinner without turning on the stove.  Last summer I did a post on zucchini pasta made with my new spiralizer and I thought this might be fun to try on the grill.  It not only worked, I've had it almost every night since.


You can find a link to information on the spiralizer on the old post, but this is what it looks like.  These two medium-sized zucchini (courgettes for my friends across the pond) will make enough for my dinner tonight with leftovers for lunch tomorrow.


Raw zucchini "pasta."


I drizzled a little olive oil on the zucchini and sprinkled with salt and pepper.  I think I'll add a little pesto and chopped tomato for a fresh summer version.


A little grilled foccacia with garlic butter on the side sounds good too.

I always find it works best to grill bread when it's dry.  You've really got to watch it like a hawk on the grill.  It'll char in a few seconds.  I crush some garlic and toast it in a little olive oil on the stove and then add that to some softened butter.  Add the garlic butter to the bread after it comes off the grill.


I grilled the zucchini in a mesh grill pan.  I got this from Williams Sonoma a few years ago and it's great for grilling things like tomatoes, green beens, broccoli and Brussel's sprouts.

(This works equally well just sauteeing the zucchini in a pan. You can keep it a little al dente/crunchy or saute it a little longer so it's more like spagetti squash. )


The grilled foccacia with garlic butter, dusted with a little sea salt.

I could live on this! 


Once the zucchini is heated--it doesn't need to cook very long at all--I add about a tablespoon of pesto and one chopped tomato per serving. 

And dinner is served.

There will be some wonderful zucchini, tomato, pesto broth at the bottom of the bowl so be sure to save enough bread to soak it all up. 



What can I spiralize next?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top