via

First, blogging friend and Urban Cottage supporter Tricia Rose from Rough Linen has received some wonderful news.  She's been nominated as a finalist in Martha Stewart's "American Made" contest!

Martha Stewart!

If you don't know Tricia already, she makes/sews the most beautiful linen products you've ever seen and she could use your support.  This is a great opportunity to support a small business without having to spend a dime, although you might find something pretty to buy too!  Please take moment to learn more about Tricia and show your support by voting.  

Go on.  I'll wait right here for you.

via Tokyo Jinga

Thank you for supporting Tricia!

Back to the bathroom.  Someone asked me if I would be doing a period bathroom for the downstairs/guest room.  And that's my difficulty with it.  The house was built in 1842 so a period bathroom would look a little something like this:



This might be a little too rustic so I'm looking for something a little more timeless.


Photo courtesy of Donna Seger, Streets of Salem

I've always felt a console sink would be a perfect timeless choice and I was happy to see 
 Edith Wharton's home built in 1905 in a recent blog post by local historian Donna Seger.   A console sink does eliminate the opportunity to incorporate some storage but it also maximizes visual space in a small bathroom.  But in a way, I feel it's a cop out.  I'd much rather have the challenge of finding something unique to repurpose.


One major limitation I have is space.  In the architect's plan, they've placed a 30-inch sink.  It appears like I might have a tiny bit of leeway but not much as all.


via

My biggest complaint about bathroom sinks is they tend to be too small.  They're fine for rinsing your fingers but try to wash your face and you've usually got a counter floating with water.  Don't you?  Maybe I just have a bog head.  

I do love this old chest with what looks like a chunky square basin.  I also the wall mounted fixtures on the marble tiled wall.  But vessel sinks seem to come with higher maintenance.  How do you clean behind it?

via

Here's another handsome bathroom with a vibe that fits my house but no storage underneath.  I don't mind the exposed plumbing at all.  If this had a lower shelf, a few basket could provide additional storage.



This has long been a favorite of mine since I saw it in--was it Country Living?  Rustic meets modern and little shelf below for storage.


via

This one's perhaps a tad too country but, again, I love the juxtaposition of the old chest and modern sink basin.  And it looks like a nice large one too.   And a little closed storage too.  

A big sink in a small space sacrifices counter space... 


via

...but maybe an adjacent built-in would provide a place for guests' toiletries...



via
..or perhaps a little narrow shelf above the sink for a few special soaps and toiletries
for a guest to pamper themselves.

So I have my mission.

I'm off to look for sink solutions.

Thanks to Camille whose bathroom Pinterest board I totally raided for inspiration.  I love your taste!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top