When I was in college I worked at a Micro-Brewery (Flatbranch for my fellow Mizzou folks...) and there they served a grilled romaine salad.  As this was around 13 years ago, I know that grilled salads are not new to most of you... but I had never actually tried one until a few weeks ago.  We had dinner with my brother and his Claire at one of our local favorite spots - Gram and Dun.  (It is a sort of chic comfort food type place with great drinks.  You might remember, last year I shared my version of their Chorizo & Mussels.)  Along with the mussels (again!), I ordered their grilled salad that I've been anxious to recreate.

My version starts with a basting liquid with rosemary, lemon and garlic that you brush over before and after grilling.  After the grill, I squeezed with fresh lemon and topped with parmesan cheese.  Sooooo good.  The slight grilled rosemary flavor is really special with the freshness of the lemon and lettuce.

Grilled Romaine Salad


1/2 cup of olive oil
1 lemon, juice & zest
1 tablespoon of rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
sea salt
cracked pepper
....
2 small-ish heads of romaine (I used the pre-packaged hearts)
1 lemon, quartered
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, fresh grated
cherry tomatoes

Start grill or prepare coals.  While the grill is heating up...

Wash and dry the romaine lettuce.  Cut in half length-wise.  Mix together the oil, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.  Brush mixture on the cut side of the lettuce. 



Grill lettuce, cut side down for 2-4 minutes (depending on the temp of your grill) just until grill marks appear.  Remove from grill and brush again with liquid.  Top with tomatoes, squeeze of lemon and parmesan cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top