Last weekend I hosted a baby shower at my house.  I made these mini pies in two different varieties for the favor.  My original plan was to put two in each bag (twin girls!!)... but they wouldn't fit in the bag!  So at midnight the night before the party, I threw in the towel and just did one pie per bag and called it good. 


This is how I presented the favors at the shower - all lined up in a basket.


Here are two of the Strawberry Pies.  They were very simple to make - just a little time consuming, crimping all of the little edges.  I used store-bought pie crust... to make 24 pies I used 4 crusts - just FYI, it does take more than you think it will.  I had to go to the store in the middle of my pie making for another crust.  I would've made my own in such a pinch, but my food processor bowl is broken!  Not to worry though, the new replacement bowl came Tuesday. 


The filling is just chopped strawberries with raspberry jam.  The raspberry really brings out the "berry" factor of the strawberries.

Mini Strawberry Pies
12 mini pies

2 store-bought pie crusts
2 cups of chopped fresh strawberries
1/4 cup of raspberry jam
1 egg
2 tablespoons of sugar

Line a mini or regular size muffin tin with a bottom crust of store-bought pie dough - consider lining the muffin tins with cupcake paper liners.

Melt the jam in the microwave for 30 seconds until it is pourable.  Poured it over the strawberries, then tossed them.  Fill each mini crust with strawberry filling.  In a small bowl beat an egg with a fork.  Brush the egg wash around the pie then top with another crust.  Pinch and flute or fork crimp the edges.  Brush the entire top with egg wash then sprinkle with sugar generously.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until brown.  You may need to cover the tops with foil to keep them from getting too brown before the bottoms are done. 


To make the base crusts, I used store-bought pie dough and cut out rounds using a glass bowl.  I found that pleating around the circle made it easier to fit it into the mini-muffin tin. 



 Half Apple Cinnamon and half Strawberry.


You can see here how big the bottom dough crust needs to be to be able to flute/crimp the edge.

 

I cut a smaller circle and used it as the top of the strawberry.  To do the edges, roll the sides up and in, then crimp using your fingers just as you would large pie.  Cut slits in the top for steam.  


For the Apple Pies, I did a fork crimped edge. 

Mini Apple Pies
12 mini pies

2 store-bought pie crusts
2 cups of chopped fresh strawberries
2 apples
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon of flour
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 egg
2 tablespoons of sugar

Line a mini or regular size muffin tin with a bottom crust of store-bought pie dough - consider lining the muffin tins with cupcake paper liners.

Peel and dice the apples into a small dice.  Toss together the apples with sugar, cinnamon and flour.  Fill each mini crust with the apple filling.  In a small bowl beat an egg with a fork.  Brush the egg wash around the pie then top with another crust.  Pinch and flute or fork crimp the edges.  Brush the entire top with egg wash then sprinkle with sugar generously.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until brown.  You may need to cover the tops with foil to keep them from getting too brown before the bottoms are done. 


A tiny lattice would've been very cute, too.


They baked for almost 25 minutes - I wanted to be sure the bottom crust was nice and brown so they would come out of the pan.  I think next time I'd use cupcake liners to make sure they come out easily.


I lost a couple of pies because I couldn't get them out!  The apple were much easier to get out.


But the strawberry were my favorite - a great little summer treat!


I'll follow up with the packaging step-by-step next!

To see all of the photos from the Sugar & Spice Baby Shower, click here!
















Here is the easy-to-pin step by step!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top