For each holiday, Emma and I have decorated sugar cookies together and Mother's Day was no exception. 

You can see all of her cookie projects :

1st Valentines Day (2 Months)
Pumpkins (10 Months)
Snowflakes (12 Months)
Easter Chicks & Eggs (14 Months)
Strawberries (17 Months)

As she's gotten older she likes to be more hands-on in the decorating process... no longer can I give her a cookie to play with while I intricately decorate the others.  So, I adopted a new, streamlined method for decorating.

Instead of classic Royal Icing, I made a simple butter glaze that I pour over cookies when they're still warm.  The glaze covers the entire top of the cookie and the remaining drips off.  Then, I go back and add very simple details with a piping bag (usually during nap time).   I found that the butter in the glaze keeps the cookies really moist and tastes better, too.    And, as always, you can find my standby Sugar Cookie recipe here.
As you can see, Emma chose to sugar some of her cookies before baking.



Butter Glaze Cookies

-Sugar Cookie (warm from the oven) recipe here
-Cooling Rack
-4 tablespoons of butter, melted
-2 tablespoons of milk
-3 cups of powdered sugar
-food coloring

In a microwave safe bowl, microwave butter with the milk until the butter is melted.  Add powdered sugar until good, pourable, but not too runny, constancy is achieved.  Add color (see my tips here).

When cookies come out of the oven, remove the cookies with a spatchula and place them on a cooling rack.  Place a clean baking sheet lined with parchment underneath.  Pour icing glaze over the cookies tilting each cookies so the tops are completely covered.


She's a very serious and precise decorator - next time I'll video!  She'll spend several minutes on each one dunking, re-dunking and tasting.


Almost nap time! 

Speaking of strawberries - it is almost strawberry picking time.  Emma and I plan to be there next week during the first few days of the season filling our baskets!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top