I'm a sucker for unique one-of-a-kind things.



Add hand-carved and with a crown, and it's as good as sold.

My first name means "crown" so  I've always considered it kind of a personal logo.
Doesn't everyone have a personal logo?



But what the heck is it?

At first I thought it was some kind of a game board.  The outer ring
has the numbers 1 through 31 but once I saw the middle ring with the
labels, J31, F28, M31, A30, M31, J30, J31, A31, S30, O31, N30, D31,
it was clear these represented months and the number of days in each month.

January 31, February 28, March 31, April 30, etc.


But when I got the inner ring, I was stumped.

L, M, M,  J. V, S, and D.



Any ideas?



The back says in pencil "Made by Elliot Rogers, Oct 1841."
This inscription isn't a good clue; in fact, it's misleading.
There's another notation that says "Made for..." but it's illegible.

If you haven't figured it out, I'll give the answer at the end.

Let's take a sneak peek at the new bathroom.


I finally got my marble on Friday and I couldn't wait to dry fit
everything together to see what it looked like.  I painted all day
yesterday so hopefully everything is looking quite pulled together.

Here you can see the corner of the Swedish console vanity,
the new honed cararra marble top and the basin sink.  The horizontal
planking and chair rail are in the background.  I have to say I'm
pleased with the overall vibe referencing the age of the house.



I also have to say I'm in love with cararra.  I can't stop looking at it.
I'm really pleased with the corner detail and ogee edge I used on the marble.
You can see the top of the table's leg has this clipped corner and you may
recall that clipped-corner detail is repeated in the toilet base and tank.  The
ogee edge is also quite similar to the original top that is now the lower shelf.

You can also see a little bit of the floor tile.  The tiles are 6 inches
by 24 inches and after a lot of thought and discussion, I decided
to place the tiles with a 1/3 stagger.  I originally wanted to place them 
in a grid pattern but thought it might be too modern.  The 1/3 alternation
makes it feel more like hardwood would be placed.  So I think it's perfect.


The colors were a challenge because the Swedish console was a much different
gray than the Greek key mosiac and floor tile.   I find grays really difficult.

In the end, I chose Benjamin Moore Icicle--one of my favorite go-to whites-- for
the walls because it related to the greenish-gray of the console table and Benjamin Moore Stonington Gray for the chair rail and trim.  This is the first time I've used Stonington Gray
and I love it.  It looks great with the mosiac chair rail and cararra mable vanity top.

Today I'm sealing grout (after mowing my keep deep grass before it rains again) and
then hopefully the plumbing and electrical will get finished up this week.

So back to the calendar.  Did you guess?


It's French.

The L, M, M, J, V, S and D are the days of the week,

Lundi = Monday
Mardi = Tuesday
Mercredi = Wednesday
Jeudi = Thursday
Vendredi = Friday
Samedi = Saturday
Dimanche = Sunday

Even though I took French in high school, I never realized the 
French months all started with the same letters as they do in English.

January = Janvier
February = Février
March = Mars
April = Avril
May = Mai
June = Juin
July = Juillet
August = Août
September = Septembre
October = Octobre
November = Novembre
December = Décembre

As to why the notation on the back in English will probably remain a mystery.

I'd love to find something to use for pegs since it would make it a piece
that's interactive.  It might be fun to put in the guest room marking
the day of the guest's arrival.

Have a great week!  I hope you don't have any Google Reader nightmares to report.
See you on the other side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top