The bathroom is almost done.  Almost.  I still have to hang the towel rods,
the mirror, find a few accessories and artwork and it will be ready for a reveal.

In the meantime, I'm looking ahead to the renovation of
the kitchen that will expand into the old bathroom and pantry, replacement
of several windows and a French door. Oh, and appliances and new cabinets.  

I was anticipating having cabinets custom made.



Something like these.
 


...or these.  Have you looked at the Plain English website?

 But when I saw the line item estimate for those, I was stunned.
It's like buying a new car....and I can't afford a new car.

I thought I would check out a local cabinet business for a reality check.


There were some beautiful options.  I was immediately attracted to this
cabinet door with a rope detail.  Beautiful.  Apparently it's also THE most
expensive door available too.  Funny how I can do that.
 


So maybe I could do something a little simpler...


...but use hardware with a rope detail to get the same feel.

We went through the showroom and discussed a million details.
Raised panel/flat panel, overlay/inset--did you know inset doors and drawers
add about 30 percent to the cost of cabinets?-- lazy susan/blind corner, 
square edge/eased edge, apron sink/undermount, range hoods,
on and on for about an hour chosing every last detail.
I handed over a copy of my blueprints with the kitchen layout
and they'll work up a plan and an estimate.   

And I left feeling disappointed.
Shouldn't redoing a kitchen be exciting?

When I got home, I checked my reading list a there was this post by Camille.
She also links to a post by Joni Webb from Cote de Texas if you're so inclined.


Go ahead and check it out.
Take your time.  I'll wait here.
 
 

Okay.  Ready to go?
 
 


I find this unfitted kitchen much more interesting:  "Unfitted" meaning not not
necessary corner to corner....made from parts.
 


Another image I've had on my Pinterest kitchen boards.
 


And this kitchen from the movie "Message in a Bottle" has been in file for years.
 
 

Even Steven Gambrel uses large furniture pieces for an unfitted look.

So why can't I find a few pieces of furniture and cobble something together
with some larger lengths of countertop, a nice new sink and new appliances?

Just "make it work."

So I hopped in the car to hit a few antique furniture stores.

My karma must me good this week.  Check this out:


An 1880s, probably Danish, pine store counter with amazing details.



It's over 11 feet long.  I can't even fit the whole thing in one photo.



Has eight of these columns.


They almost feel like something from a Viking ship where the oars would go.
 


Eleven feet of thick walnut on the top that could be repurposed.



The back side has two eight-drawer sets of cabinets.
The drawers move like butter!
 
I don't love the color and it definitely needs a little love but there are a lot
of really great details.  Broken down and reworked, it's piece that could
be given a new life and used for another 100 years.
 
Suddenly I'm excited about a new kitchen!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top