The secret to great looking party food is abundance.  When I'm putting together a platter of any kind (even at a casual gameday party), I try to make it as abundant as possible.  I know there are a lot of trends that present food in minimal style, but that goes against the way we inherently think about (and crave) food.  I always want our guests to feel like they've been invited to indulge in an endless buffet of tempting treats - and the best way to do this is with full, bountiful platters of beautiful food.



Yep, I'm talking about Nachos.  I know, a pretty fancy intro to one of the most basic appetizers of all time.  However, I think most people forget about fixing nachos at home.  They are the perfect bountiful looking appetizer to put out for a game day party... and verrrry simple.

That's what entertaining is all about, right?  Easy food that everyone loves... and whether or not we want to admit it - we all love a huge pile of nachos.  It might not be a slow-roasted beef tenderloin, but it is still an indulgence.

I make mine in layers so each chip is covered with melted cheese (one of Mike's requests), and then I top it with sliced steak, black beans and more cheese, then bake it in the oven.  Finally, I top it with homemade pico, sweet corn and cilantro to add a fresh (I won't kid myself and say healthy...) element.  

oven-baked 
Steak Nachos
serves a crowd


New! Printable Recipes, here.

1/2 lb. Steak
Taco/Baja/Fajita Seasoning
1 bag of tortilla chips
Cheddar Cheese
Monterey Jack Cheese
Black Beans
Fresh Corn
Pico de Gallo (recipe here)
Cilantro
Green Onions

Coat the steak in seasoning.  Grill until medium rare - about 3 minutes on each side.  Let rest for 5 minutes, then slice thinly.




First layer of chips.


Layer of shredded cheese.


Second layer of chips + Monterey Jack Cheese.


Black Beans


Cheddar Cheese


Sliced Steak


This is a perfect medium rare - you can use flank steak, strip or sirloin.  Just slice it as thin as you can so it is easy to eat.

Pop it a 350 degree the oven for 10 minutes to melt the cheese.


Then top with the pico de gallo (recipe, here, but you can also use store-bought) and sweet corn.  For the corn, I just cut kernels off of the ears of corn - no cooking necessary.


Add fresh cilantro and sliced green onions for extra freshness.


Deee-lissssh-usssh, as Emma would say. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top