Mike loves green beans.  Knowing this, I've attempted to make him several of my favorite versions - sauteed with shallots, sauteed with garlic, lemon zest and parmesan, and sauteed with pancetta.  All of these recipes were met with so-so reviews.  No matter what I paired them with, he just doesn't like sauteed-and-still-crunchy green beans.  He likes good old fashioned green beans that are cooked for a long time with onions, bacon and salt.   It turns out - so do I.  My Granny was famous for green beans just like these - they were cooked all day on the stovetop.  I made my own version of these to go along with our "Relaxing Sunday" dinner.  I couldn't bring myself to cook all of the color out, but I did make sure they were nice and soft (even granting Mike a test), versus crunchy.  They might be everyone's new favorite.


Bacon Braised 
Green Beans

New! Printable Recipes, here.

1 pound of green beans
4 pieces of bacon, diced
1/2 cup of onion, diced
1 cup of chicken stock
sea salt & cracked pepper

In a saute pan that has a fitted lid, cook the bacon on medium until the fat has rendered.  Add the onion and cook until soft.  Add the green beans, chicken stock, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.  Cook on medium for 10 minutes, then cover and cook for 30 minutes on a low simmer.  Season with more salt, if necessary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top