I've told the story before - before Mike and I were even dating, I served warm "homemade" bread at a dinner party at my house, and he raved about it for weeks.  Did that lead to him finally asking me out?  I guess we'll never know...  The Barefoot Contessa has her "Engagement Roasted Chicken" and I have my "homemade" bread.  


 My secret weapon to "homemade" bread is Rhodes frozen bread dough.  (This is not paid, by the way.)  It is found in almost every grocery store in the freezer department.  Over the years I have transformed the simple dough into Cinnamon Rolls, Monkey Bread, Pecan Rolls, Pizza Bread, etc. 

When I saw these Wooden Bread Baking Baskets I knew they would be just the thing to take my "homemade" bread to the next level.  I've seen them many times in Martha Stewart used to package gifts and treats, too.  I love the rustic element that compliments to the already rustic bread.

This Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Bread is soooo good.  I may have eaten half of it warm out of the oven.  I'll be giving it to all of our neighbors, teachers and friends this year as gifts.  During the holidays it is always nice to have something around the house like this for breakfast, or an afternoon snack with coffee for those last minute pop-ins of friends.




Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Bread

Get my Printable Recipes, here.

1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 loaf of frozen bread dough (Rhodes brand)
3 tablespoons of butter, softened
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
.......
Egg Wash :
1 egg, beaten
.......
2 tablespoons of butter melted
1 cup of powdered sugar
milk, to thin, if necessary



Let the dough thaw overnight in the refrigerator.  You can also use your defrost setting the in microwave if you're in a pinch.  Each log of dough will make one loaf.  I put a little oil in the bowl, then put in the dough.  I flip the dough around a couple of times to coat it with the oil, so as it rises it doesn't stick to the bowl.  Cover loosely with plastic wrap.


I set my oven at 120 degrees, put in a pan of warm water, and let it rise in the oven.  


I decided to throw another log of dough in after I took the first photos.  This is what they looked like after rising for an hour and a half.


I separated the two, then rolled each out on a floured surface.  I had the wooden baking basket out to make sure I was rolling it out to the correct size.


Butter generously.


Top with brown sugar and cinnamon.  You could also add raisins and nuts.


 Roll it up.


And place it, seam down, into the basket.  They come with paper liners, but you don't have to use them.  The flour on the dough will help them release from the pan naturally... just like authentic bread baking baskets.


I brushed the loaf with a little oil, then let them rise for another hour and a half.  Before they go into the oven, brush with an egg wash.


They bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes - or until golden. 


 Another way to check to see if it is done is to "thump" the bread.  If it sounds hollow it is done!


I drizzled it with a simple mixture of melted butter, powdered sugar and milk to make a quick glaze.  I let it harden, then packed them up.


Products Used :

Large Wooden Baking Basket
5/8" Grosgrain Ribbon - East Hampton Hedge

Large Cello Bag
Frasier Fir Large Tag 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top