It was fun reading all of your comments and suggestions.  I tried not to reply
to any comments that would sway you one way or the other. I don't think
there's any one right or wrong answer but I was surprised  to hear so many
people suggest dark navy or black.  By the time I had done the post...


...I had already gotten a sample pot of Farrow & Ball Down Pipe.

The color is meant to imitate lead and I thought it would give an  industrial feel.
I should also add that I REALLY wanted to use Farrow & Ball.
I had gotten as far as buying a quart of Lamp Room Gray and painted one
of my window casings before deciding it was a little too blue for the cabinets
but I absolutely LOVE the paint!  It's got a beautiful consistency, paints on
smoothly and dries to a beautiful finish.  I'm completely sold on its quality.


In the end it was the perfect gray that I won out.  I didn't feel I was too far
off.  During the day, the old gray was reading a little lavender.  I went back
to the historical colors and found a gray that was a little darker and drabber
and I think it's perfect.  Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray.  The darker tone really
highlights the marble and the hue give me the historical look I was shooting for. 

"Christmas Gift" amaryllis is late to the party but she's putting on a great show.



You can see the contrast of the two colors on top of the column on the left.
And the entire column on the right has been painted in Chelsea Gray.




Between the dishwasher and refrigerator is a new cabinet
that will have doors made from the old store counter...painted
in the Chelsea Gray.  I love the contrast of this gray with the marble.

The little wine rack next to the refrigerator has shelves made from the
store counter mahogany that I showed in an earlier post.

And you also get a glimpse of another color I've painted in the
small recess next to the refrigerator.  



(Oops, the flowers have moved over to this shot.  That's bad styling.)

Above the counter next to the refrigerator, I've designed a little built-in cabinet
that will house a small microwave, a TV and leave a little extra room for 
cookbooks and some white pottery.  My thinking is that the dark color
(Benjamin Moore Deep Creek) will help disguise the microwave and TV,
highlight the white pottery placed in front of it AND provide balance to the
black armoire that will go over in that right corner where all the crap is.
We'll see how that works out.

The sunshine pours in through the French doors on winter mornings.
While the cats sunbathe, you'll find me here...painting.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top