Last night after a long day of packing up boxes for Valentine's Day orders, I asked Mike to pick up Chinese takeout for dinner - I was exhausted.  Fast forward two hours, an order of Hunan Chicken and two Crab Rangoon later, all of a sudden I had a burst of energy that translated itself into the Barefoot Contessa's Chocolate Ganache Cupcakes

Instead of using chocolate ganache as icing, I made a Milk Chocolate Glaze - my absolute favorite, also known as Sheet Cake Icing.  It is so simple to make: microwave butter and milk, then add cocoa powder another zap in the microwave, then stir in powdered sugar.  We had some warm from the oven with warm glaze poured over last night, but I saved some to finish today to share with you (in pretty daylight pictures instead of dark night photos). 

To add a little Valentine's Day love, I put an oversized heart-shaped sprinkle on top just as the icing was setting - my newest addition to the store


Mike is a minimalist when it comes to frosting (he's always scraping fluffy frosting off... and giving it to me), but this type of cake (moist, dense, but light at the same time) and topped with a Milk Chocolate Glaze is right up his alley.  I'll definitely be repeating for Valentine's Day - they are the perfect "Manly Cupcake."

Milk Chocolate Glaze


Get my Printable Recipes, here.

1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup of milk
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 cups powdered sugar (desired consistency)


In a microwave safe measuring cup, heat butter and milk in the microwave until butter is melted.  Add cocoa and heat for 30 more seconds, stir vigorously when it comes out to break up any lumps of cocoa.  Stir in powdered sugar, starting with 1 cup at a time, then add more if you'd like it to be thicker. 


Here's photos from last night - the cupcake itself is made with a can of hershey's syrup.  You have to try the recipe, it is such an unbelievable cake.   I wish I would have filled the paper cups a little more, as the batter doesn't rise much at all but this little puff.


Last night's batch of glaze.


Again, would have loved to have the cupcakes filled more, then the glaze would've run ever-so-slightly over the sides... oh my.


Back to photos from this morning - a sweet little heart transforms them to a decadent Valentine's Day dessert.

I've added two new products to the store especially for Valentine's Day:

Giant Valentine's, $15 for 5

I can't get over these.  I love how simple they are - but so fun in a huge way.  Emma's going to decorate them with stickers, glitter and photos for her Valentine's this year.  Her grandparents and cousins will love receiving these giant envelops in the mail!



















Heart Sprinkles, $10


These over-sized heart sprinkles come packaged in a large glass jar just like my collection of Sanding Sugars.  I can't wait to show you photos of my baking pantry updated with all of these fun sprinkle jars.








The last day to place orders for Valentine's Day goodies is next Thursday, Feb 6th.



Here is the pin strip for the recipe :




0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top