The grouting is done...and it's white.  I have no photos of the process
because it was tough.  It's been several years since I last grouted anything
and I've never done such a large area.  I wasn't sure how long I would have
the time I started grouting until it set up so I moved quickly.  It was difficult.
It was messy.  I broke out in a sweat.  And I might have cried a little bit.  

Once I had about one-third of it done, I stood back and was certain I
made a mistake using white.  It should have been gray, I thought.

But once it was all done and I'd wiped off the white haze, the subtle
color difference and texture looked beautiful and my attention went back
to the cabinets which is where I thought it should be.

(I should note I'm not done painting the cabinets.)

This was what the kitchen looked like on Monday night after I'd finished the
grouting and I started contemplating what I'm going to do with the window
casings and sashes.  I'm going to paint the French doors on the opposite wall
the same as the cabinets so I think I need to have some of that darker value
on the windows to balance them.  Having the dark gray above the white sink
will also make a nice composition I think.

Everything needed to be cleaned out of the kitchen for a final coat on the 
floors.  I understand that it makes a lot of sense to leave a final coat until
all the work is done--there were a few scratches that happened--but it was a
drag having to keep the cats barricaded from the room while the floors dried.


But all the workmen are out the house and I can start moving back in. I had
to wonder, after living with the bare essentials for the past seven months,
what was in all the boxes that were stacked in my front hallway. I'm taking
a critical look at everything and making tough choices about what I keep.
I'm a hunter and gatherer by nature and giving away doesn't come easily.



I recently discovered my neighborhood had a "free table."  Anyone can
drop off or pick up from the free table.  It's a great place to drop things off
that wouldn't really warrant to trip to Goodwill or selling at a yard sale.
People leave books, clothes, boots, housewares, artwork, all kinds of things.
Even the worst of things seems to find a new home.

I have some vintage stuff I can send off for sale but a good deal of this
stuff will be going to the free table.


I've never really been an organized person.  The house
might look presentable but I have screwdrivers in my sock drawer
and paint cans in the dining room cupboards.  I want that to change.

I gathered up all my gift cards and headed to The Container Store
where I got all kinds stuff to pimp out my cabinets.  I got several
of these pull out drawers so I can make better use of the space.


In some of the cabinets, I can fit two.  I thought
the lid racks would also be good for cookie sheets
and cutting boards. 


I wanted to have a pull-out trash and recycling combo 
but the bins were so small, the really didn't make sense.
So I got a trash bin and there will be room left over for
a paper grocery bag to sit next to it for recycling.

And I got a few of these dividers for the deep bins
to store smaller pans and cutting boards.

I'm kind of spring cleaning as things move around. After
several months of renovation, the house is just filthy and I
can't take it anymore.

My armoire will be delivered this week and I'm really looking
forward to getting all the dishes, serving pieces and glassware put away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top