I call this Spring Pasta because anything that has prosciutto and peas is spring-y to me, and because Spring around here ranges from 50-80 degree days, and sometimes we need a good comforting dinner on one of the cold and dreary days like today.  The flavors are still fresh, and the sauce is lighter than most cream sauces so it just coats the pasta instead of being goopey.  I try to add a lot of mushrooms and chicken to add to the bulk of the meal without depending solely on pasta.   

I featured a similar recipe to this on my blog in 2009 (crazy!) and I thought it high time I revisited it here, as it is still one of our favorites.  If you'd like to see the original recipe and the original (terrible!) photo, visit here.
 

I finally have my "good" lens back in working order, so I got it warmed up to take with us on vacation by following Emma around in the yard for a little while one afternoon.  I've included more photos at the end of this post of her blowing bubbles and playing peekaboo in her "overhauls" as she calls them.


One of our friends on our street just had an adorable baby boy, so I made a reheatable version for them.  I made a double batch of the sauce and used bowtie pasta to it would be easier to reheat.  I added extra water to theirs to make sure there would be enough sauce after it reheats.  The sauce tends to absorb into the pasta the longer it sits, so the extra water helps to keep it loose for reheating.

Spring Pasta with Prosciutto, Peas, Chicken & Mushrooms

Get my Printable Recipes, here.
1 pound of chicken
Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper
1 pound of fettuccine 
1/4 pound of Prosciutto, sliced into 1/4 inch ribbons
1 med yellow onion, small dice
2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves of garlic
1 cup of cream
1/2 + cup of pasta water
1 cup of frozen peas
1/2 cup of grated parmesan

Roast the chicken by placing it on a baking sheet and roasting it at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes until cooked through.  Let sit and chop into thin slices.  
Meanwhile, boil salted water for pasta.


 

Cook prosciutto in a large saute pan until crispy, then remove from the pan and set aside. 


In that same pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, mushrooms and onion.  Cook for 5 minutes until tender.  Add pasta to boiling water and cook for 6-8 minutes until almost tender.  Reserve 1 cup of pasta water to use in the sauce - set it aside.


Add 1 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. 


Simmer on medium heat until it thickens.  Add more pasta water if it thickens too much.  


Add the prosciutto back in along with sliced chicken, peas and parmesan cheese.












Emma's afternoon playdate with Emma, bubbles and a tree : )





Peekaboo!




I'll be back tomorrow with some Mother's Day special products. 

Happy Tuesday!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top