Still to finish in the kitchen is this one upper cabinet next to the fridge.


When I started planning the kitchen renovation, a few of the things high on
my list were hiding the microwave and adding a TV.  Having this little space
tucked next to the fridge seemed to provide the golden opportunity to get both.



I think I mentioned earlier that I was painting the back of the cabinet
a dark color called Ben Moore Deep Creek.  I learned in my art
training that your eye goes to the area of highest contrast so the
idea behind the dark color is to "hide" the microwave and the TV.
And then I'll use white pieces of pottery to further draw your eye
away from these things.  An interesting experiment if nothing else.

I've quickly staged it with a few things so you see what I mean.


But this little area has also proven to be a challenge.

The original plan was to have a full-sized microwave but my ductwork
guys thought this would be the best location for the heating duct to the
upstairs bedroom which left me only 16 inches for a microwave.
I know they make tiny microwaves that will hold a mug but imagine
how psyched I was when I found a 15-1/2-inch model (Whirlpool)
that still holds a full-sized dinner plate.  It's perfect actually.


And deciding what paint colors to put where is driving me crazy...
this side panel on the fridge especially.


It starts out at the floor where I feel it should be the same gray as the cabinets...


...up to the top where white feels right.

If I start with dark gray at the bottom, I'd have to carry that all around
the fridge...

...and quite possibly around the corner on to the wall.  Nothing feels perfect.

How would you feel about an ombre treatment?


Anyway, while I mull that over, I'm thinking about staining
the wood of the upper cabinet to match (as closely as possible)
the bin drawers.  The two sets of bin drawers are pretty close
to each other so having that upper cabinet match those
would really help balance things out.


It looks like it's somewhere between Golden Pecan and Golden Oak.

If I can make it match, I'll be golden.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top