Are you a little surprised about my design board a little?  I am.  In the last couple of years I've really warmed up to warm colors.  Last year I went on a holiday homes tour and toured a home that was just everything I love... even though it was a little different than what I thought I loved.  It just felt so right and was unlike any home I'd been in before.  It has really influenced me in the interior design of this home.  With that being said, I am also trying to stick with my roots, too - a very comfortable, cozy home that feels a little like a country farmhouse/cottage.  Did I just make a zillion contradictions?  Hopefully you're on the same page as me.



We've talked a lot about the kitchen for the new addition and the layout of the floor plan, but I haven't done too much writing about the interior design.  The plans have been approved and now we're just in the logistical stages of getting ready for construction... which means we are starting to make real decisions about finishes and ordering fixtures.  It can be overwhelming to do, but I think selecting furniture, rugs, artwork, appliances and fixtures before anything begins will save us a lot of trouble down the road.

So, I've tried to think about everything we are planning to put in our house, where it will go and will we have room for it.  That doesn't mean we'll purchase everything immediately (like the hand-knotted oriental rugs or antique chest...), but when it comes time, we'll have the space for it and (hopefully) it will fit into our plan. 


I would like the home to be completely neutral (cream walls and upholstery), with accents of rich and muted colors in rugs and artwork. All of the walls will be painted a creamy white like this photo (except bedrooms).  We're hoping there will be room in our budget to add some paneling accents that will be painted, too.  It is something we can do later, so if we're running over budget during construction, we might save it for another year.

I'm also embracing traditional rugs that contain reds, burnt oranges and deep navy blues.  Of course, I still like muted pale blue landscapes and seascapes in gilt frames (like the one Mike painted for me).   I've also discovered that I really like contrast, so instead of my typical in-between tones, I'm going for creamy walls and black accents... even debating soapstone counters. 



I love the traditional, easy, and season-less look of this house.  I want to make sure our wood floors are stained a similar warm walnut/chestnut color.



For the floor coverings, we'll have wood throughout the main areas, but use slate tiles in the mudroom.  I'll be adding a natural color runner up the stairs, in the new bedrooms and using similar throw rugs for accents in high traffic areas.


For light fixtures and door hardware, I like all un-lacquered brass that has a soft, antique finish.  I am still planning to use my favorite lanterns (above in my own dining room) from Cape Cod Lighting Co. everywhere I can.  I'm picturing them above the kitchen island, dining table, foyer and even one above our soaking tub in the bathroom. 



I also want to make sure we incorporate some creative details, like this vanity.  Would love this for the downstairs powder room.

What do you think?  I'd love to hear your thoughts about the soapstone vs. the marble or wood tops.  Thanks for all of your help!

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top