I love comfort food.  Who doesn't?  Sometimes comfort food in the Summer can be tough... it is already hot, I don't want a big bowl of chili, a heavy macaroni and cheese, or a huge pot roast.  What I do want is a classic steakhouse salad, steak on the grill and a loaded baked potato.   

I know, you're thinking, steak?  That's expensive.  Yes, the actual steak may be expensive, but it is your only big cost.  The meal is so simple that all of the other ingredients are less expensive.  So, focus on the bottom line, not the cost of the steaks.

Steaks........ $14.00
Potatoes.... $2.00
Cheese....... $2.00
Iceberg Lettuce...... $1.80
Tomato.......$1.00
Onion.......... had it
Carrot......... had it
Bread........... leftover
Total............ $20.80

Steaks...
The best way to do steaks is to brush them with olive oil and heavily season them with sea salt and cracked pepper.  Never use table salt or pepper.  Light the grill early to get it nice and hot.  You want to sear the steaks and seal the outside to keep all of the juices in.  Cook them for about 3 minutes on each side.  Let them rest for about 5 minutes before cutting. 


Old School Steakhouse Salad... Iceberg!
Sometimes I crave cruchy iceberg lettuce.  I know, I know, it has no nutritional value.  But, it reminds me of the old days and it is great for otherwise heavy meals.   I love that everything (but the lettuce) is sliced thin in this salad, it gives it an entirely new texture.  I usually fix one large salad that Mike and I share while the main course in cooking. 

Salad...
Iceberg Lettuce
Shaved Carrots - very thin
Red Onion - sliced very thin
Tomato - sliced very thin
Homemade Vinaigrette 
Grilled French Loaf with butter, salt and pepper

The potatoes go in the oven on 400 for 1 hour+.  We fill ours with butter, sour cream, sharp cheddar and scallions - not the healthiest meal, but after a dinner like this, I won't be searching the freezer for ice cream later!  By the way, every time I say I want something healthy for dinner, Mike suggests steak and potatoes - what could be healthier than that?!  Guys are funny. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top