As I mentioned last week, we are in the process of buying a new house.  We don't move in until the end of the month, but I'm making design decisions and purchasing some new furniture in the meantime.  If you're following me on pintrest, you'll recognize the photo on the left as my inspiration for our New Living Room. 

I've put together the layout above using InDesign to help me with the scale of the room to make sure everything I'm planning will fit nicely.

After some long debates (in my head, with Mike and my sister), I've made some firm decisions regarding the new ottoman, wing back chairs and a light fixture.  Things that are still up for debate are the final paint color (I know the hue, just working out the saturation...) and the rug.  Double 'ugh' for the rug.


 We'll be keeping our current sofa (thank goodness for the budget's sake...) that is upholstered in a natural "sand" belgium linen.


I've decided to purchase the 2 of the Slipcovered Wing Back dining room chairs from Restoration Hardware.  My inspiration for these chairs is from the photo on the left of the Barefoot Contessa's home from House Beautiful. 

I'm going to have them flanking the fireplace in the Living Room, but will be able to move them to the dining room for special dinners.  The price is a little expensive for dining room chairs, but a steal for a living room chair... so, since I'm going to be using them as both, I'm justifying the expense. 

I'm going to have them done in Fog grey linen, as pictured above.  They are a great scale, measuring 25w x 27d x 47h.  Not too too big for our house, but still very comfy.  I also like that the wing back gives it a stately stature, but the slipcover makes it casual.


The ottoman has been another point of debate... what upholstery?  Because I'm doing the grey Fog Linen for the Wing Backs, I've decided (finally...) to have it done to match the sofa in Sand Belgium Linen so I don't add too many fabrics into the room.  I plan to have various throws, interesting drapes and pillows that will add color, dimension and pattern to the room.  I'd rather stick with the basics for the main pieces, then have more fun with things that can be changed easily and often- as I'm known to do it for each season.




I have always loved brass fixtures and plan to do them throughout the house to match the existing brass doorknobs and hardware.  This one is from Circa Lighting.  Hopefully my budget will allow to have multiples of these... if not, I'll settle for this one in the foyer, and something complimentary for the rest of the house - bedrooms, hallways, etc.  


I want the walls in the entire house to be very neutral and light.  I really like Stone and Ash from the Slate collection at Restoration Hardware.  Ash and Stone are not pictured in the swatches on the left, but they are from that collection.  Ash is the swatch to the right.

Now onto the rugs...


This rug from Ballard Designs, I love.  I love the colors, I love the pattern, but I don't love the comfort level of the flat weave or the price.  It is still the inspiration for what I'm looking for, though. 


This is another rug from Ballard.  I also love it - I love the contrasting pops of dark colors.  I think it adds a sophisticated element to an otherwise light and airy rug.  It is only available in a 6x9... so maybe I settle for it in the dining room?  But, I still need a rug for the living room...


This is the rug my sister has in her living room (that I love because I help her pick it out).  I love the colors, but not sure if I want to mimic exactly what Jill's done in her house, just for the sake of copycat syndrome.


I also like this rug from Pottery Barn.  Jill also has it in her hearth room.  I also helped her pick it out.  I'm wondering why I helped her so much : )  But, the real debate is if I want something as graphic, or if I want a more traditional Persian style... I do love the cleanness that the graphic pattern gives, but I like the classic look of the Persian...  Did I mention double ugh?


This rug is from Pottery Barn, also.  I like the colors and the traditional Arts & Crafts block print.  I think it would be a great classic look, but a little modern because of the clean block print. 


This rug from Pottery Barn struck me as interesting and eclectic.  I think it would add major interest to the living room... maybe a little too much?  

Amy I missing any other rugs out there?!  Your help would be appreciated!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top