One of my goals for this year (not related to the house), is to find more balance in my life.  It will probably mean a little less working and blogging and more healthy eating and exercising.  So after my morning oatmeal, I did some time on my elliptical, cleaned up the house and then took a walk on the other side of the tracks in Cambridge.  I took my camera so I could share.

By the "other side of the tracks," I mean the old part of the city first settled in 1630 and where Harvard College started in 1636.  Prior to the Revolutionary War, wealthy merchants who remained loyal to Britain--referred to as Loyalists or Tories--owned estates that lined  Brattle Street, also referred to Tory Row.


This is one of the Loyalist's homes built in 1767.  He was run out of town and the house was seized during the Revolution.  Some of the estates had over 100 acres of land at time but today this home sits on three acres, still a huge lot for the city.

Here are some of the other homes in the area.



Bronze scupltures placed alongside the driveway of one of the home.



This one was recently renovated top to bottom.  Could use a little landscaping but it's gorgeously done.


Check out the detail on the gable fascia



You'll notice several of these houses have a painted chimney with a black band around the top.  These are often referred to as "tory chimneys."  It's unlikely that anyone would have so blatantly advertised they were loyal to Britain.  It seems like more a design element that was either fashionable at some time or done to visually break up the massive chimneys.


As you'll notice, many of them have spectacular fences.  A fence company told me that Cambridge holds some record for the most fence per square mile but think that's a joke.  Maybe.


Notice the shiplapped siding on the front that makes a smooth stone-like surface.  I thought this was used on Greek Revivals to make them look more like stone temples but I've also seen it on older Colonials so I'm not sure what the idea was. 


I love this house.  I guess this would be Queen Anne style?


Another Torey chimney.


Love the lawn art.


This Old House fans might remember this mid-Century modern house that renovated on the show.  It does seem a little odd tucked in between all these Colonial and Victorian homes but it's a great house.



Close up of the front.


Gorgeous old beech tree in this front yard.



Couldn't resist taking this photo.





I've always wanted to have a house with a curved driveway.



Even on the quiet side streets, the houses are really charming.  This one was built around the same time as mine.  I'm not sure I would have the guts to try that color but it's beautiful.



A great salt box dated 1765.


Detail of the salt box.



So that's the other side of town.  I hope you enjoyed tagging along.  

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top