Our entire family spent this weekend back at home in Lexington for my Mom's birthday.  On Saturday night we had a Shrimp Boil for her friends, and Sunday we got up for an early morning impromptu trip to the strawberry patch.

There is nothing quite like 'real' fresh strawberries from the field.  I've gone on and on about 'real' strawberries in the past - see here for some of my posts from previous years.  For now, I'll just say they are good.  So good - and fleeting - only good for a couple of short weeks (just after peonies and just before cherries...).  I love thinking about the calendar in fruit and flower seasons. 

I have a list a mile long of what I'd like to do with these little gems (thanks to my Instagram friends!), but really, they are so, so good all by themselves.  I wanted to share this fabulously simple treat with some of our friends, so I packed some up this morning.  Simple and pretty packaging for simple and pretty berries. See below for packaging details. 



Now, for some details about or morning at the patch...

 

Fahrmeier Farms is conveniently just down the road from my parents' house in Lexington, Mo and even more conveniently owned by my cousins, the Fahrmeiers.  If you're local, they have another week or so of picking left.

 
Pack a lunch and enjoy this stunning view while you snack on your harvest.  Here is a link to their facebook page for more info.   Check the page before you go to make sure they still have berries for picking.  This is the same farm that specializes in heirloom tomatoes - I'll be sharing plenty of those with you in another month or so.


Best buds ready for picking.  And yes, Emma is wearing a princess dress.  As I said, we were at her Moo-Moo's house for the weekend, and the first thing she does when we arrive is run up and put a dress on from Moo-Moo's trunk.  There's no fighting it... apparently the apple doesn't fall far from the tree (as I'm often reminded).




Family affair.  And no, Mike and my Dad are not playing football.















Princesses love strawberries... and dirt.

We're headed to Sam's house in a little while to spend the weekend and I'm planning a scavenger hunt for the girls... any ideas?  I haven't done one of these in about 25 years : )

Products from my store that I used to pack up the little baskets for friends :

Wooden Baking Baskets (small size)

Large Cello Bags



Everyday Tags & Cards (in Papaya Pashmina & Concord Green... Emma's Pink would look so cute, too!)

Cotton Ribbon (thin)



I love having all of this supplies for making gifts at a moment's notice... it is always the kind of thing we always mean to do, but never get around to actually doing ;)



You could also include some sugared scones with the berries for a make-your-own Strawberry Shortcake kit - that would be darling. 








So nice to be able to start the week by making something beautiful for someone else - in literally less than 10 minutes.






























Meanwhile, this is happening in my kitchen right now... Emma better hurry home from school!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top