I'm dreaming of a White Kitchen... white painted cabinetry, and white carrera marble, that is.  This week, I went to the Boston Design Center - a.k.a. interior design mega world of Boston.  Upholstery, bolts of fabric, framed prints, mirrors, and fantastic kitchens.  My favorite showroom contained two kitchens that I completely fell for.

My design strategy for a kitchen is pretty simple.  It is not a space you decorate.  I don't like patterns, bright colors or anything that isn't functional.  For me, a kitchen must look and feel functional - like a workshop.  It must look clean and uncluttered, it must have a big island, and it feel inspiring to you.

KITCHEN #1 : Classic Cream with Butcher Block, Glass Front Cabinets, and Rustic Accents


I'm going to have Mike make a mini version of this island for our new house - it is going to house our built-in refrigerators. 


I love the shinny nickel plated hardware - very classic without being trendy.



Again, I like the polished nickel fixtures - especially this raised faucet.  I love the butcher block counter with the apron front soaking sink.


Another shot of the display cabinet - this shot also shows the grey paint on the wall.  This is a similar color to what I had on our Fairway house.   I love the old-fashioned clasps on the upper cabinets.

KITCHEN #2 : Old Fashioned Classic

 

This kitchen reminded me of Martha Stewart's Skylands kitchen in Maine.  The wood gives a feeling of warmth and it feels like it has been there forever - a good sign that it will not soon go out of style.  It feels like a kitchen built in the 1920's out of which the staff cooks grand meals for the family of the house.


There was a built in butcher on the island above either warming drawers or refrigerator drawers - I forgot to look.

Double thick marble - I don't know if I am a fan of this "fancy" beveled countertop, but it is probably well-suited to this grand kitchen.


This is built like an old refrigerator - old school icebox style.  See this article on Martha Stewart's original icebox at Skylands. 


This is the subzero refrigerator and freezer.


The island is a display and work area.  Can you imagine turning out pies and sugar cookies on this thing during the Holidays?  You know it is a good kitchen if it can conjure up visions of Holiday baking.   One problem - I don't like the light fixtures.  Sorry - the only bad thing!



The magnificent range and hood.

Share links to your favorite kitchens!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top