Salad for Supper | Chicken, Avocado, Sweet Corn, Red Peppers & Greens

When I ask Mike what he'd like for dinner he usually says something "fresh & healthy" (if not steak and baked potatoes).  Humf.  Then, I explain to him that the blog readers don't want "fresh and healthy."  And honestly, neither do I!  Well, I guess that is not true... maybe you and I just need something that is fresh and healthy AND crave-able.  Because, if you're anything like me (and I'm guessing you are...) you're going to head to the cookie jar (or carton of ice cream) minutes after dinner if it didn't have enough oomph to be satisfying.   Oh, and the side of cheese bread helps, too.

This salad fits the "fresh and healthy" but still really flavorful bill for me.  It is somewhat like a cob salad - if I would've had bacon, I would've added it!  The avocado makes any dressing really creamy, the chicken makes it 'supper' worthy, and the crunchy sweet corn and red peppers are so perfect together. 

On another note, the packing has started (as you can see in the photo above, we're eating amongst packing paper at our table)!  I'm going to be purging the excess from our life and I can not wait.  It always feels so good to get down to what you really need and love - all other possessions will be outta here.  Easier said than done... wish me luck.  I'll be sharing my purging and packing journey over the next two weeks.

2 Very Large 
Supper Salads
Chicken, Avocado, Sweet Corn, Red Peppers & Greens

2 Chicken Breasts*
2 tablespoons of olive oil
sea salt & pepper
.......
1 head of lettuce*
1 Avocado, large dice
2 Ears of Corn, cut off of the cob
3 Green Onions, sliced
1 Red Pepper, diced
Cheese (I used parmesan, but cheddar would've been great, too)
Creamy Dressing (Green Goddess or Ranch)

*You could use a rotisserie chicken instead of roasting your own.
*I used a combination of bibb lettuce, radicchio and romaine.

Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet.  Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size.  Let them cool for about 10 minutes before slicing.

Cut lettuce into 1/2 inch pieces, then rinse twice and spin dry.  In a large bowl, combine avocado, sweet corn, green onions and red pepper.  With a fork, mash 1/2 of the avocado slightly to help it incorporate into the dressing.  Add cheese, lettuce and dressing.  Toss well.  Add chicken and toss a little bit more.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top