No Thanksgiving dinner is complete without stuffing - or dressing, I guess it is more appropriately named... as I don't actually stuff it into the bird!  If you cook the stuffing in the turkey, the turkey will have to cook longer, making it dry so I recommend cooking the dressing in a baking dish.

This is a very traditional herb stuffing for Thanksgiving that is a staple at my family's Thanksgiving dinner.  Feel free to jazz it up with diced apples, dried cranberries or spicy sausage.

Traditional Herbed Stuffing (serves 8-10)
with sage & thyme

16 cups of sourdough bread cubes, 1-inch
1 stick of butter
2 cups of yellow onions, 1/2 inch dice
1 cup of celery, 1/2 inch dice
2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons of thyme, minced
6 sage leaves, julienned
1 tablespoon of sea salt
1 tablespoon of pepper
2 1/2 cups of chicken stock
2 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Toast bread on a baking sheet for 6 minutes.

In a large saute pan, melt the butter and saute the onions, celery, mushrooms with parsley, thyme, sage and salt & pepper for 10 minutes until they begin to soften.  Place mixture along with bread cubes in a large mixing bowl.  Beat together the stock and eggs.  Add it to the bread mixture and toss together.

Option #1 : Casserole Dish


Pour into a casserole dish.  Bake for 30 minutes.

Option #2 : Crock-Pot

Pour into a crock-pot.  Cook on high for 45 minutes.  Cook on low for 4 hours.  **You may need to add more stock to keep the stuffing moist.


In years past, I had purchased crouton looking dried bread cubes from the store, but it was so much easier, better tasting and looking when I made my own.  Just use a big loaf of rustic bread.  (I only made a half recipe for Mike and I, otherwise you will probably need two baking sheets for all of the bread.)


I chopped the herbs, mushrooms, celery and onions while the bread cubes were toasting.


Saute them in butter.


The bread it toasty and browned.


Beat together the chicken stock and egg. 


Toss all of the ingredients together.


 Pour into a baking dish - I like to use pie dishes instead of typical casseroles.  Bake until it is toasty and browned on top.



For more Thanksgiving Recipes and my step-by-step Thanksgiving Timeline & Checklist, click here!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top